CARUSO, ADAM / THOMAS, HELEN
The product of a continuous European architectural and intellectual practice that bridged the Second World War, the work of Rudolf Schwarz (1897 1961) allows a deeper understanding of post-war German architecture. This book examines nine of his religious and secular buildings sited in the Rhineland, which are presented through new survey drawings and photographs. These are accompanied by Schwarz's project descriptions and his lecture 'Architecture of Our Times' from 1958, which contextualizes his approach. Essays by Wolfgang Pehnt and an interview with Schwarzs wife, the architect Maria Schwarz, provide further insight into this complex oeuvre.